Bombing Handan (炸寒單) is an important folk event held annually in Taidung during Taiwan’s Yuanxiao festival (元宵節) Read more about Bombing Handan…
Originating from local religious temples’ celebrations, Kaohsiung’s Wannian Folklore Festival is…
I have been travelling in Canada with my family for a couple of months and was pleased to find out my photo was used for the cover of Topics Travel and Culture issue. The article, ‘Drumming Their Way to Respect‘, is about Chio-tian Folk Drums & Art Troupe (九天民俗技藝團) — the troupe the Taiwanese movie ‘Dintao: Leader of the Parade‘ was based on.
See full post here: The Taiwan Photographer
Get the Taiwan Travel guide from Gecko authored by the prolific and highly respected Taiwan writer, Steven Crook, here:
The cover photo of Zhenzong Art Troupe’s Santaitz and many of the interior photos were taken by me. See more of my covers here.
The Amazon Product Description
Taiwan for Culture Vultures
== Taiwan’s Historical, Religious, Artistic And Architectural Highlights ==
– Why Get This Guide? –
* In-depth descriptions of each sight that include fresh details not mentioned in other English-language write-ups
* Coverage of several new attractions not covered by print guidebooks
* Clear instructions how to reach each sight by car or public transportation
* Chinese script for every sight mentioned in the guide
* Convenient links take you to background information
– Inside This Guide –
* 95 sights including: Taiwan’s best museums; its most ancient and ornate temples; its newest attractions; its quaintest villages; and its most striking landmarks.
* Over 150 photos, including 84 images contributed by Taiwan-based professional photographers Rich Matheson and Craig Ferguson.
* Comprehensive articles on practical subjects such as getting to and getting around Taiwan.
* Background articles on Taiwan’s history, religions, and culture
* A glossary of historical and local terms
– Stylish and Feature-Packed –
* Detailed information on opening hours, prices, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses
* Honest reviews and independent advice
* Inspiring gallery with stunning photos
* Stylish and easy to use
– About the Author –
Steven Crook has visited more than 40 countries, and continues to find Taiwan endlessly fascinating after 20 years living and working on the island. Since 1996, he has had scores of travel and culture features published in Christian Science Monitor, CNN Traveller Asia-Pacific and other newspapers and magazines.
Links to articles and photographs published in on-line magazine; culture.tw, by editorial and cultural photographer Rich J Matheson.
The southernmost portion of the Dajia Mazu Pilgrimage 大甲媽祖繞境 is Xingang’s Fengtian Temple (奉天宮). Mazu devotees walk from Dajia Zhenlan Temple in Taichung, through Changhua County, Yunlin County and into Chiayi County in a…
Belying his popularity amongst Taiwanese, Ji Gong ranks only as a minor deity in the Chinese god pantheon. Ji Gong(1130-1209), was born a mortal, Li Xiu Yuan (李修緣(or 元)…Click here to read the rest of the Ji Gong Post
The 2012 Creative Song-Jiang Jhen Battle Array Cup
March 3,4 and 10 at the Zi Zhu Si (Black Bamboo Monastery) in Neimen, Kaohsiung, Taiwan